Sunday, July 22, 2012

A letter for you...

This morning I preached a sermon that had been re-written on Friday because the movie theater shootings in Aurora had also shot down the festive tone of my sermon for Mary Magdalene's Feast Day as well as any other sermons being planned around town.  A completely minor consequence to be sure but one that affected preachers across area nonetheless.  People coming to church today collectively needed a deeper word in light of the horror and despair of so many people murdered and so many more wounded physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Today I am grateful for the many people sharing comfort and hope as we care for each other.  But I am especially grateful for Pastor Meghan Johnston Aelabouni's open letter to all who suffer from the shootings in Aurora.  Her words are heartfelt, insightful and elegant.  I quoted her in my sermon today because her way of speaking about, "...how God is able to reach into sin and death and pull out healing and life..." is simply stunning.  I encourage you to check out her full letter as she, like Mary Magdalene, points us to the "indestructible love of God."

May the Spirit of God fill you and hold you in grace and peace.
Caitlin

[Click on Pastor Meghan's name to link you to her letter.]

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Challenging and respectful comments welcome...mean ones, not so much.